In this article, we are going to learn what is line breaking activity and what are the hazards in line-breaking permits along with examples of linebreaking.
We had discussed various types of safety work permit like hot work permit, height work permit and many more among those types, line breaking permit is one of them. Like any other job, line opening job includes hazards that can result in personnel injury, damage to property and material loss.
Implementing strict protocols during line breaks is important as it reduces the chances of chemical exposure to workers on the job.
Now, lets us start with the definition of line breaking in safety followed by examples and line breaking checklist.
Table of Contents
What is a line break? definition
A line break refers to a planned work for any changes in the process line such as line opening, bolting or bolt removal, loosing of flange, line replacement, valve changing, blind apply or removal, or equipment servicing.
Line breaks are crucial for ensuring safety and preventing any potential accidents or contamination. During a line break, all materials flowing through the pipeline are drained out and necessary precautions are taken to ensure that no hazardous substances or vapors escape into the environment.
OSHA line breaking procedure
In some industries, line breaking is considered as a separate permit, and in some organizations, line breaking is considered in existing work permit such as hot work, height work, or hot work
Prior to issuing work to permit to perform line breaking job, line treatment/job preparation should be done.
- LOTO should be done if the line is connected to the electrical equipment.
- Line material should be drained in the designated container
- line and should be flushed with inter gas (N2)
- The line should be de-pressurized.
- Venting, draining, isolation and decontamination of the line should be done
Along with these permits, a line-breaking checklist is to be issued and the below are the points that should be included in the checklist and to be followed.
- Line breaking checklist
- Job description and location
- HIRA, JSA, or SOP present with SDS (Safety data sheet)
- Line treatment status (Flushing, venting, isolation) for decontamination of line
- Activity to depressurize lines, empty out or draining
- Line isolation tag / Blind list
- All the required PPEs are provided and tools present at the location
- Safety precautions / Special PPEs required
- LOTO of the connected pump or equipment if required
- P&Id attachment
- Duties of standby person
- Present of safety shower
As the permit is issued, in the presence of a standby person and area operator, alternate bold to be loosened to ensure no presence of gas, pressure, or chemicals.
Line break example example of line break
To have a better understanding, we have list down what are the line breaking examples.
- Line replacement
- Control valve replacement/ Opening for maintenance from the line.
- Isolation valve replacement from the line.
- Tie point/flange provision/ line cutting for tapping using hot work in the line.
Potential Hazards in Line breaking
Line breaking is a critical job as it has the potential to cause harm to the person. Isolation valve passing problem is the most common cause for accidents occurring in line breaking job.
What is hazard associated with line break?
- Presence of high pressure, and high temperature
- Present of steam
- The presence of toxic material, corrosive material, and dangerous gases
Precautions in Line breaking
As we know there are hazards in line break activity, precaution need to be taken to prevent chemical exposure to the person.
What is control measures associated with line break?
- Proper communication about the work to be conducted and information about potential hazards with the person going to work on that line.
- Only trained people should be allowed to do the job.
- Proper inspection along with line isolation and line breaking checking to be attached the the issued permit.
- Proper knowledge about the chemical from SDS should be ensured for all the persons involved in the job including the process and maintenance person.
- Required PPEs like a protective suit, cartridge mask, chemical gloves, and scrubber line suction or breathing apparatus should be present near the job location
- A fire extinguisher or fire hose should be present if required.
- Area monitor should be present for continuous area monitoring.
- Ensure no hot work is being under progress near the job location.
- LOTO to be done if any electrical equipment such as a pump, compressor, or blower is connected with it.
- Isolation valve to be tagged with Do not operate tag and to be ensured if the valve is not having passing problems
- in case the line is to be put in open condition, blinding should be done and the area to be barricaded.
These are the precautions should be taken care of while issuing line breaking job safety permit.
FAQ (When is a line breaking Permit)
1. What is line break in OSHA?
Linebreaking is an authorization to perform work to open a line in which there is a possibility of the presence of hazardous chemicals or high pressures.
2. When is a line breaking Permit required?
A line breaking permit is required when line opening is done in which hazardous, corrosive, toxic material, high pressure maybe be present that can cause an accident.
3. What are the hazards in line break permit?
In line breaking job, here are the of hazards. Presence of high pressure, and high temperature. The presence of toxic, corrosive, and dangerous gases
This was a detailed article on What is line breaking, what is an example of line break and when to issue line breaking permit. If you have any doubt or suggestions, feel free to reach out to us through the comment section or Contact Us page. You can follow us Chemical Tweak LinkedIn as well .